what is transitional kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year program that bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and gives students the gift of time that will help them build a strong foundation for future school success.
Starting school is a very exciting time for children and their families! It begins a new chapter in their lives and sets the tone for children’s futures. But California’s Kindergarten Standards and curriculum have changed over the years, and many of the skills children were once taught in
first grade are now expected in Kindergarten. This can make the transition into Kindergarten difficult for some children, and the youngest children entering the Kindergarten classroom sometimes struggle to adjust.
A Transitional Kindergarten Program will provide the youngest pre-Kindergartners with a readiness year that is developmentally appropriate and will better prepare them for success once they enter Kindergarten.
- What Happens in a Transitional Kindergarten Program?
- Why is Transitional Kindergarten good for children?
- Age Requirements for Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten:
- How do I register my child for Transitional Kindergarten?
- TK Transitional Kindergarten in Newark Unified includes:
- The Four E’s of a TK Program:
- Information Contact
California’s Kindergarten System: Preparing Children to Succeed