K-12 Mathematics Curriculum
Starting in 2018-19 NUSD has a new comprehensive Common Core Aligned K-12 math program: Big Ideas Math.
Big Ideas Math is a research-based program providing a focused and coherent curriculum for students in elementary, middle and high school. There are a number of online resources and tools for teachers, students and parents/guardians. We encourage you to utilize these resources to support your student’s math development.
For more information about Big Ideas, please visit www.bigideaslearning.com.
- Sumdog – Math games for students in grades K-8.
- Math Games – Free online math games for students TK-8.
- Cool Math Games – Cool Math Games, Cool Math Games 4 Kids, Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Pre-Calculus
- Khan Academy – Free math video tutorials and practice
- Khan Academy en Espanol
English Language Arts
In Spring 2016, NUSD School Board adopted Lucy Calkins Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop in grades K-6.
Quick ELA Links
- Newslea – Nonfiction literacy and current events
- Book Search – Scholastic Parent Resource for finding books at your child’s level
- Youngzine – news + more for kids
- OverDrive – Borrow eBooks, audiobooks and more from your local public library
- My Story – A simple book making app that allows kids to create e-books and share them
The Newark Unified School District has adopted the new California State Standards in English-Language Arts, Mathematics, NGSS (Science), History-Social Science and Physical Education.
Click here for more information on the California State Standards.
Textbooks and Instructional Materials
Click here to view a list of current adopted textbooks and materials.