Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee
- Meeting Schedule
- Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee Annual Reports
- About the Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee
- CBOC Bylaws & Related Policies
July 14, 2021 - site tours July 26, 2021 - special meeting August 2, 2021 - special meeting September 14, 2021 – quarterly regular meeting
December 14, 2021 – quarterly regular meeting
March 8, 2022 – quarterly regular meeting
June 14, 2022 – quarterly regular meeting
Quarterly regular meetings start at 6:00 pm.
Meeting Location (unless otherwise noted):
Newark Unified School District (Board Library)
5715 Musick Avenue
Newark, CA 94560
(To see the most recent ones, please scroll to the bottom.)
Some links may not be available immediately, please check back again.
- CBOC_2012-03-06_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2012-06-12_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2012-09-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2012-12-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2013-03-12_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2013_06-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2013-09-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2013-12-17_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2014-02-25_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2014-03-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC-2014-06-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2014-09-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2014-12-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-03-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-06-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-08-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-09-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-09-29_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2015-12-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2016-03-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2016-06-14_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2016-09-13_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2016-12-13_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-01-03_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-04-21_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-03-14_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-06-13_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-06-27_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-09-12_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2017-12-12_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-01-04_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-02-13_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-03-13_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-04-03_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-06-12_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2018-09-11_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-01-04_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-01-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-04-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-06-21_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-07-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-09-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2019-12-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-03-10_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-06-09_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-06-23_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-06-29_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-07-16_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-09-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-10-06_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2020-12-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-03-02_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-06-08_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-07-14_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-07-26_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-08-02_Agenda Packet
- CBOC_2021-09-14_Agenda Packet
CBOC_2018-09-11_from NUSD, Invoices from CRSI and Vanir
CBOC_2018-09-11_from NUSD, Photos-Maps of Play Equipment
On August 19 2021, the CBOC Chair, Richard Watters, presented the Committee's annual Report for the 2019-2020 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On October 15, 2020, the CBOC Chair, Richard Watters, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2018-2019 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On August 1, 2019, the CBOC Chair, Marek Yarbrough, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2017-2018 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
Click 2017-2018 CBOC Annual Report to view/download.
On June 19, 2018, the CBOC Secretary, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2016-2017 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On August 1, 2017, the CBOC Secretary, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2015-2016 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On September 13, 2016, the CBOC Chair, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2014-2015 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On May 3, 2016, the CBOC Chair, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2013-2014 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
On May 3, 2016, the CBOC Chair, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s REVISED Annual Report for the 2012-2013 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
The revision was due to corrected errors in the 2012-2013 Measure G Performance Audit report. The corrected performance audit report can be found in the Audit section of the Measure G website.
On March 4, 2014, the CBOC Chair, Cary Knoop, presented the Committee’s Annual Report for the 2012-2013 fiscal year to the NUSD Board of Education.
The purpose of the citizens’ oversight committee shall be to inform the public concerning the expenditure of bond revenues.
After a bond authorized under Proposition 39 is passed, state law requires that a citizens’ oversight committee be established to work with the District.
The committee shall actively review and report on the proper expenditure of taxpayers’ money for school construction and shall convene to provide oversight for, but not limited to, the following:
(Education Code 15278)
- Ensuring that bond revenues are expended only for the purposes described in Article 13A, Section 1(b)(3) of the California Constitution including the construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, or replacement of school facilities, including the furnishing and equipping of school facilities, or the acquisition or lease of real property for school facilities.
- Ensuring that, as prohibited by Article 13A, Section 1(b)(3)(A) of the California Constitution, no funds are used for any teacher and administrative salaries or other school operating expenses.
In furtherance of its purpose, the committee may engage in any of the following activities:
(Education Code 15278)
- Receiving and reviewing copies of the annual, independent performance and financial audits required by Article 13A, Section 1(b)(3)(C) and (D) of the California Constitution.
- Inspecting school facilities and grounds to ensure that bond revenues are expended in compliance with the requirements of Article 13(A), Section 1(b)(3) of the California Constitution.
- Receiving and reviewing copies of any deferred maintenance proposals or plans developed by the district.
- Reviewing efforts by the district to maximize bond revenues by implementing cost-saving measures, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Mechanisms designed to reduce the costs of professional fees
- Mechanisms designed to reduce the costs of site preparation
- Recommendations regarding the joint use of core facilities
- Mechanisms designed to reduce costs by incorporating efficiencies in school site design
- Recommendations regarding the use of cost effective and efficient reusable facility plans
All citizens’ oversight committee proceedings shall be open to the public and noticed in the same manner as proceedings of the Board. Committee meetings shall be subject to the provisions of the Ralph M. Brown Act. (Education Code 15280; Government Code 54952)
The citizens’ oversight committee shall issue regular reports, at least once a year, on the results of its activities.
Minutes of the proceedings and all documents received and reports issued shall be a matter of public record and shall be made available on the district’s web site. (Education Code 15280)
Assistance will be provided to those requiring accommodations for disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Interested persons must request accommodations at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting by contracting the Business Office at (510) 818-4115.
PDF of 7214 E (Exhibit) — These are the CBOC Bylaws approved October 15, 2020.
E also online here: http://www.gamutonline.net/district/newark/displayPolicy/1049442/7
PDF of 7214 AR (Administrative Regulation)
AR also online here: http://www.gamutonline.net/district/newark/displayPolicy/1049441/7
PDF of 7214 BP (Board Policy)
BP also online here: http://www.gamutonline.net/district/newark/displayPolicy/1049440/7
The CBOC Bylaws and related policies are within the NUSD Board policies (within the 7000 series for Facilities, within the 7214 section for General Obligation Bonds).
At the NUSD Board of Education meeting on March 1, 2016, the Board approved updates which had 7214 E, AR & BP replace 1221 E, AR & BP.
All CBOC member appointments must be approved by the Board of Education. The Board accepts applications for any CBOC position at any time. The Board also has the discretion to expand membership beyond the legally required seven members.
CBOC members serve two-year terms. They may be eligible for reappointment for a second and third term.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the CBOC, please fill out the CBOC Application and submit it to Newark Unified School District: 5715 Musick Avenue, Newark, CA 94560 (Attention: Business Office).
|Name||Community Representation||Serving in 1st, 2nd or 3rd Term||Term Ends|
|Parent/Guardian of Child Enrolled in District||1st – Board appointed Aug 21, 2018
2nd- Board reappointed Jun 18, 2020
|June 30, 2022|
Jebadiah Ross Vice Chair
Parent/Guardian of Child Enrolled in District
Active Member of a District Parent-Teacher Organization
1st - Board appointed Aug 15, 2019
2nd - Board appointed Aug 6, 2020
|June 30, 2022|
Cindy Parks Secretary
|At-Large Community Member||1st - Board appointed Sept 3, 2020||June 30, 2022|
|At-Large Community Member|| 1st – Board appointed June 28, 2016
2nd – Board reappointed Sep 4, 2018
3rd – Board reappointed Jun 18, 2020
|June 30, 2022|
|Vacant||Senior Citizens' Organization|